Thursday, May 3, 2007

Science fiction

I have looked at different online Encyclopedias, Encyclopædia Britannica (http://www.britannica.com/ ), Wikipedia: the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/) and Infoplease (http://www.infoplease.com). Encyclopædia Britannica is one of the most trusted sources of information and you have to pay for it, not so fun if you just need it for a short period of time. But on the other hand it is more accurate then free Encyclopedias, because not everyone can edit the article’s, it is done by special paid staff. And I believe that it is more trustworthy than say Wiki. Even if Wiki claims that the writers are supposed to be Natural in there edits some times it might pas there checks. However I do think Wiki is a fast way of finding information, but I would not use the information that I find in Wiki as a school project; I would I would look for other sources to use. Furthermore Wiki admits that: “newer articles may still contain significant misinformation”. I found that wikis explanation differs from the other Encyclopedias when I search for “Science Fiction” I the three different Encyclopedias.

Wiki explains that “Science Fiction” is: speculations based on current science or technology. Buy this is not what I learned in my first Literature class. My view of “Science Fiction” is more accurate to what Encyclopædia Britannica and Infoplease describes: form of fiction that deals principally with the impact of actual or imagined science upon society or individuals. And Infoplease ads that it is also: comments on political and social concerns.

When I read on I discovered that I found a more precise explanation in Britannica. In Wiki it say that “Science Fiction” is difficult define; I think that this is written because today the term might change. The statement reflects upon the cultural moment that we have now, is the world “Science Fiction” changing its meaning? Or do not the people that wrote that article know what “Science Fiction” is?

Another thing that I thought Britannica was better in, was to explain relative books, “Science Fiction” books that was written by famous authors. While in Wiki they brought up a lot of subgenres and explanation of them. And in my case I am mot interested in the subgenres, I am interested in the word “Science Fiction” and its meaning a Britannica was the one that fulfilled my expatiations.

My conclusion is that Britannica had more of the information that I was looking for and it is more reliable when it comes to using the information for academic purpose. But Wiki gives me a cultural insight on what the word means to people. Because we “the non researcher and professors” might not have the same view of a word as the researcher and professors have. And we are the majority of the population so through Wiki we can put our definition on a word that means something to us. Words are explained in another language that we might understand easier that Britannica, which is more theoretical based.

Wiki is more modern way of finding information and Britannica is the old fashion way.

Wiki as a social an intellectual experience

People can sign up to be a part of Wikis network of volunteers that controls what people ads to the Encyclopedia. They are in a social network that makes sure that the new edits made in Wiki are not damaging the pervious text and that people follow Wikis rules.

The ones that participate in Wikipedia’s development in not only a part of wikis social network they also get an intellectual experience. Because they have to make sure that their facts are supported by out standing sources.

Work Cited

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9066289/science-fiction

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/ent/A0844066.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

No comments: