Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What is reality?

Virtual worlds… something new and exciting for a lot of people, except for me. I have tried to spend time in Second life and I do not see any point in it. Sure you make friend there and can express yourself in another way than in reality. But does it change my “Reality”, how does the virtual world affect my real life? Some people do have problems seeing the difference between games and reality. So what about virtual world and reality, can we lose touch with the life that really matters. Will second Life and other virtual worlds take over our concepts of reality?


I can agree that it is nice to escape from the reality some times; I do that daily through TV and books. But second Life is something different, it is more real than watching TV or reading a book. As the technique progress can we, in the future still separate virtual worlds from our real life? For some people a virtual world can be a positive experience, you can get away from your nemesis, but in that same time you can find them there. And it is just a matter of time before hatred, racism and harassment converts in to the virtual worlds. Lets face it, the companies are already in Second Life and maybe one day FBI will haunt terrorists in this world too, maybe they already do.


I read an article in Aftonbladet, a reporter had tried Second Life and said that it is all about sex in second Life. I have not experience that myself, but if it is true where do we draw the line? If it would have been real life people would have reacted. Is everything allowed in the new virtual worlds, or can we stop it before it gets out of hand?


Sure not every thing is negative with the virtual worlds, so far and everything that I have read about Second Life is positive. But I think that we have to face the facts that everything has a backside, so what is Second Life’s?


Call me negative but one day we will all have to face the backside of virtual worlds, just take the Internet as an example. Everything was great from the beginning until people started misusing it.

No comments: